Recently there is a great interest from Singaporeans to travel to Myanmar as compared to 2 years ago when many Singaporeans perceive that Myanmar was a dangerous tourist destination.
The following has happened in March 2012, since the political opening and lifting of sanctions by the Western countries:
1. Most 4- and 5-star hotels are fully booked.
2. Some middle-east businessmen offer higher room rates and book the whole floor.
Prices have increased.
3. More NGOs visit Yangon now increasing hotel occupancy.
4. Domestic airfares have gone up.
5. Silk Air flights are full nowadays. MAI flights are also filling up fast.
6. There is just insufficient number of 4- and 5-star hotels built.
7. 3-star hotels are clean but many Singaporeans prefer the 4- and 5-star hotels.
In general, tourism costs are generally higher than in Cambodia and Thailand.